all about DRESS CODE
We believe that a uniform dress code gives students a sense of belonging to our family. Uniformity also:
- Encourages discipline
- Helps students resist peer pressure to buy stylish clothes for class
- Help identify non-students in the studio
- Diminish economic and social barriers between students
- Increase a sense of belonging and school pride
Dance attire may be purchased year-round from all about DANCEWEAR, which is our store of choice. They stock our required items as well as a copy of this list for your reference. We are also committed to restricting attire/costumes that project sexuality, contain explicitly graphic or textual content. This is also true of our general studio dress code. Appropriate dress must be a consideration at all times. No midriffs, cleavage (girls), bare chests (boys), short shorts (without leotard) or words written on the backside (bottom) of clothing will be permitted.
Important Notes for All Dancers:
- Must have a dance bag to store your personal belongings
- Dance shoes should NEVER be worn outside.
- Make sure your name is inside all of your belongings, as well as on the outside of your bag using a luggage tag or other means.
View the Dress Code Requirements for each of our styles, class and levels below. Dress Code Requirements must be met by the 3rd week of the season.
Pre-K Ages 18mo-3yr (GloWorms)
- May wear any clothing, as long as it’s not restrictive
- Bare feet, grippy socks or dance shoes.
- Parents in the room must remove street shoes and go in socks or dance shoes.
Pre-K Ages 3-5 (Fireflies, Sparklers and Embers)
- Leotard – any style, any color; Skirts or Tutus are optional
- Tights – any color
- Shoes – Pink Ballet Slippers for girls. Black gymnastics or ballet shoes for boys.
- Boys can wear sweatpants or shorts and a tee shirt.
Pre-K Ages 3-5 Tumbling (Firecrackers)
- Leotard or Biketard. Skirts or Shorts are optional
- Boys can wear shorts or sweatpants and a tee-shirt
- Bare Feet or Gymnastics shoes
SPARKS Mighty Mites
- Black sweatpants and Black t-shirt
- White Belt ($5 to instructor)
- There is an optional uniform available for purchase if your son/daughter will be continuing in the program. Please see the instructor for details.
Ballet and Pointe/Pre-Pointe
- All Ballet Students: Shrugs, sweaters, and leg warmers are optional and may be worn the first 15 minutes of class only. Each student should have at least one plain ballet skirt, any color. Hair must be pulled back into a ballet bun, and excessive jewelry should be removed. Leotard styles are personal preference. Colors are based on Levels and are as follows:
- Kinder Ballet (Sunbeams): Leotard (any color), tights (any color), pink full-sole ballet shoes, skirts/tutus optional. If participating in tap option: black tap shoes, preferably with velcro strap.
- Ballet 1A and 1B: Soft Pink Leotard, pink footed tights, pink leather full-sole ballet shoes.
- Ballet 2A and 2B: Navy leotard, tan or pink tights (footed or convertible), pink leather or canvas split-sole ballet shoes.
- Ballet 3A and 3B: Emerald green leotard, tan or pink convertible or footed tights (no black tights, please), leather or canvas split-sole ballet shoes.
- Recreational Ballet III: Leotard (any color), tights (any color), pink split-sole ballet shoes.
- Intensive Ballet I: Burgundy leotard for all classes, tan or pink convertible or footed tights (no black tights, please), leather or canvas split-sole ballet shoes.
- Intensive Ballet II: Black leotard for all classes, tan or pink convertible or footed tights (no black tights, please), leather or canvas split-sole ballet shoes.
- Pre-Pointe: same as ballet as they are demi-pointe (use regular ballet slipper). Pre-Pointe will also require a special strength training tool kit, which will be discussed with the student prior to enrolling in the class.
- Pointe: Pointe shoes require special fitting for proper use. Please visit all about DANCEWEAR to purchase these.
- Any color leotard and any color tights; skirts or shorts allowed.
- Ballet shoes allowed, but with more advanced levels, we suggest foot undeez
- Hair must be pulled back into a ponytail or bun
- Leotard and tights or other non-restrictive clothing
- Ballet, Jazz or Character shoes
- Hair must be pulled back into a ponytail or a bun
Jazz and Tap
- Jazz students must have black jazz shoes. Boot or Lace-Up
- Tap Students must have black tap shoes
- Mary Jane or Lace-Up style
- Character tap shoes may be required for upper-level tap classes at the discretion of the instructor
- Boys and girls in both Jazz and Tap may wear any combination of leotards, shorts, pants and tops. Crop tops are allowed with a leotard underneath.
- Boys and Girls may wear any combination of leotards, shorts, pants and tops. Crop tops are allowed with a leotard underneath
- Full-Length pants or knee pads may be recommended to protect knees
- Jazz sneakers, Black Jazz Shoes, or regular sneakers are all acceptable
- As with all dance shoes, the shoes worn in hip hop class must not be worn outdoors